Friday, October 03, 2008

Navarathri Golu 2008 - My 3rd year:)

This is my 3rd Navarathri Golu, as I have already gushed about before, and I am so in love with it. Since I had more time this year to focus on peripheral development I did a lot of stuff besides the main padis. We reused the padis from last year and my in-laws brought me a lot of more dolls. I also discovered this amazing Japanese store in Mountain View where everything sells for $1.50 and bought loads of dolls and stuff for gifts. Here are the pics -


This is the mail golu with the kalash and marapachi on the 5th step. Priya mentioned that the traditional dolls, kalash and marapachi can also be kept on the second step and we will probably do that next year. This year my second and third step had the international dolls and the 5th step had the new wedding set and chettiar set. The 4th step was dedicated to Astalakshmi and Dasavathar sets.


This is the national park I made with a felt bloth for the base and fake grass that my in-laws got from India. The animals were from Michaels and for the fun of it I called it "Jim Corbett National Park".


This is Rampur village with a pen containing pigs, geese and hens, a bullock cart, a well and few huts.

This "piece of art" is called pebble beach - the logic being that pebble beach is surrounded by golf courses and that explains the grass:D:D. The sea is simulated by using blue times at the bottom of a plastic box and water and there is some frogs dressed for a day at the beach.


This is my bedroom set with a lady looking into the miniature dresser and a guy sleeping on the bed with a pillow and comforter which I made out of paper napkin and gift wrapping paper.


I am already thinking of ideas for my next one and excited about it. Cannot wait until then:) I also made truck loads of food the last two days for all the families that came home for the haldi-kumkum. The menu was curd rice, puliodarai, sundal and kesari. I think I missed taking pictures of all of these. But it was yummy and I am bored of it already:D. Anyways, thats until next Navarathri. Looking forward to all the Diwali goodies now.

3 comments:

Jen Kumar said...

Beautiful golu. What creativity. Stop by my blog and see our golu photos in your spare time! Happy navarathri.

Smita said...

thansk jennifer...I couldn't find your golu on your blog...please give me a link...

Prashant Dash said...

No photographs of Navratri Food items? :-(

Whatz cooking at Dabbu's for Diwali?