Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Happy Navarathri

Wish you all a very Happy Navarathri! I am very excited about my third Navarathri golu and I have put in a lot of effort into doing things differently this year. :) I will post all the pictures of my golu after Navarathri.

Traditionally we are supposed to make one variety of sundal every day and I try and do a different one everyday but by far my most favourite is the Kabuli Chana sundal and the Kala Chana sundal. These two will be repeated atleast once during these nine days. Sundal is very healthy (if made the right way) dish high in protein. So I enjoy it immensely and even make it regularly on other ocassions.

I will be updating this blog with pictures of all the sundals I made over the span of 9 days.

Kabuli Chana/Konda Kadalai Sundal


Kala Chana / Karuppu Konda Kadalai Sundal


Moong Dal / Payatham Paruppu Sundal


Lobiya Sundal / Karamani Sundal



The rest of the days I ended up repeating some. My mom also made Soybean sundal but I forgot to take the pic. I soaked the soybean assuming it is yellow peas but when I looked at it the next day, it had grown oblong:D But this was a good one too.

General ingredients and directions for any type of sundal are -

Ingredients:

  1. Pulses or beans - 2 cups soaked and cooked until a little soft but still retain a little bite
  2. Grated coconut - 3 tbsps
  3. Dried red chillies - 8
  4. Curry Leaves - 10
  5. Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
  6. Urad dal - 2 tsps
  7. Hing - 1/2 tsp
  8. Gingelly oil or any vegetable oil - 1 tbsp
  9. Salt
Directions:
  1. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. Once they have popped add the urad dal and stir until golden brown.
  2. Add the red chillies and curry leaves and sautee until you can smell the aroma.
  3. Add the hing, salt and beans and coconut and mix well.
  4. Place a lid and steam until done and enjoy hot!

No comments: