It feels like the cook in me is getting resurrected and that is not necessarily a good thing because it also means that my diet and focus on eating healthy goes for a toss :). Ah heck! Who cares!!! Today I was inspired to make a Bengali meal and perused several blogs for the recipe of Begun Bhaja. I finally used this one. My first taste of this dish was during my last India trip when my sister's cook make this. It seemed so simply yet tasted so good. I know it is my BIL's favorite dish and I can see why. To go with this, I made a simple dal with panch phoran masala which added to the Bengali theme of the evening:).
- One big eggplant - cut into discs 1/2 inch thick
- Turmeric - 2 tsps (I used it liberally but you can use less too)
- Red chilli powder - 2 tsps
- Oil - 3 tbsps
- Lemon juice - 1/2 tsp
- Rub the turmeric, salt and red chilli powder on both sides of the eggplant and let it sit for a few minutes
2. In a pan, add the oil and let it heat up for a min. Add the eggplant slices and let it cook and brown on one side. Then flip and let it cook well on the other side. By the time it is done, the eggplant should be really soft and the skin on the sides should have changed color.
3. Drizzle a little lemon juice and enjoy hot with khichdi or with roti and dal like I did.