Arachuvitta sambhar is a very traditional and typical tamilian sambhar, the ultimate comfort food for any tamilian or for that matter any south Indian:). - a fresh ground powder/paste is added to this sambhar and the aroma of that sets it apart from a regular sambhar. You can add any vegetable to this one. I chose to use white pumpkin. Thanks to my SIL for the recipe.
- Chana dal - 2 tbsps
- Toor dal - 2 tbsps
- Corriander seeds - 4 tbsps
- Red chillies - 10
- Frozen/fresh grated coconut - 1 cup
- Tamarind pulp - 2 cups
- White pumpkin - 1/4th piece, peeled and subed
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Methi seeds - 1 tsp
- Hing - 1/4th tsp
- Curry leaves - 8 or 10
- Toor dal boiled - 2 cups
- Haldi - 1/2 tsp
- Dry roast ingredients 1 through 5 and grind to a smooth powder/paste.
- Heat oil in a skillet and add mustard, methi, haldi, curry leaves, red chillies, hing and let the mustard seeds splutter.
- Add the pumpkin pieces and sautee for 5 mins.
- Add the tamarind pulp, salt and enough water and boil the pumpkin until cooked.
- Add the dal and boil until all ingredients are well cooked.
- Add the ground paste/powder and boil for a min or so and take it off the heat. Serve hot with rice.