I made this egg curry for dinner with plain rice. It was inspired by this recipe from Asha's blog Foodie's Hope.
Hard boil 8-10 eggs. Shallow fry them with 2 tbsps oil until they crisp a little on the outside. Cut 1 inch vertical slits around the egg.
Ingredients for Gravy:
- Onions - 3 large, chopped finely
- Tomatoes - 4 chopped finely
- Tomato sauce - 1 can
- Bay leaves - 2
- Elaichi - 2
- Cloves - 4
- Star anise - 1
- Garam masala - 1/2 tsp
- Jeera Dhania powder - 1.5 tsp
- Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
- Tandoori masala - 1/2 tsp
- Kasoori methi - 1 tsp
- Tamarind paste - 1 tsp
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Green chillies - 2 slit lengthwise
- Curry leaves - 7/8
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Water - 3 cups
- Corriander - 1 cup chopped
- Heat the oil and add the cloves, elaichi, bay leaves, star anise, green chillies and curry leaves. Sautee until well fried.
- Add the onions and sautee until soft, golden brown and well done.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and cook for 1 min.
- Add the tomatoes and cook until soft.
- Add the tomato sauce, garam masala, tandoori masala, red chilli powder, kasoori methi, jerra dhania powder and mix well.
- Cook until the raw taste of the masalas and tomato sauce goes away.
- Add the water and tamarind paste and cook until you see the oil separate.
- Add salt if required.
- Add the fried and slit eggs and mix well. Cover with lid for 10 minutes and allow to cook and steam.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and enjoy with hot rice.