- Ridge Gourd or Peerkangai(Tamil) or Beerakai9Telugu) or Dodka(Marathi) - 5, medium sized
- Tamarind - 1.5 inch piece
- Black pepper - 1 tbsp
- Dried red chillies -10
- Salt 1/2tsp
- Urad dal - 3 tbsps
- Hing - 1/2 tsp
- Sesame seed oil or any vegetable oil - 1.5 tbsp
- Curry Leaves - 8
- Mustard seeds - 1tbsp
- In a pan heat 1/2 tbsp of oil and saute the black pepper, red chillies(7) and urad dal(only 2 tbsps) separately until well roasted and keep aside.
- Peel the ridge gourd a little to remove some rough edges but not all the peel and chop into small pieces. The smaller you chop, the faster this will get done.
- Saute the ridge gourd in the same pan until it is soft and cooked.
- In a mixer grind together the roasted spices, ridge gourd (after cooling), salt, hing and tamarind until it is a smooth paste.
- Heat the rest of the oil and temper mustard seeds, remaining red chillies and urad dal and curry leaves.
- Garnish the chutney with the tempered mixture and enjoy!