In hyderabad, near my home, there is this little shack that my dad brings the breakfast from very often. This grub has become our favorite for every time we visit and we always look forward to the idly, vada and most of all the pesarettu from this place. This was an attempt to capture that taste although it incomplete without the green ginger chutney that we get. Will try that next time but now here is what I have.
I am really glad I bought this non stick pancake pan. It allows me to make rotis and dosas without a single drop of oil. :)
Pesarettu Recipe: This recipe makes a lot but can be altered by just keeping the proportions same.
- Whole moong dal - 4 cups
- Rice - 1 cup
- Red chillies 5-6
- Curry leaves 10-12
- Ginger 5-6 stalks about an inch long
- salt to taste
- Asafoetida - 2 pinches
- One medium size onion - finely chopped
- 2 green chillies
- Soak the moong dal and rice overnight.
- Grind the above with the red chillies, half the ginger, salt, curry leaves with enough water to make a dosa batter consistency
- Finely chop remaining ginger, onion and green chillies
- Spread on heated pan like a dosa and sprikle some onions, ginger and green chillies
- When the pesarettu seems done on one side, pressing in the onions so that they don't fall off when it is overturned. Roast on other side too thoroughly.
- Serve hot with the chutney.
Peanut-Coconut Chutney Recipe:
- One cup roasted peanuts
- One cup fresh/frozen grated coconut
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2 pods garlic
- One inch piece of seedless tamarind
- 4-5 dried red chillies
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon urad dal
- 4-5 curry leaves
- One tablespoon gingelly oil
- One pinch asafoetida
- In a little bit of oil, saute the onion and garlic
- Grind the peanuts, coconut, onion, garlic, tamarind, 2 red chillies, curry leaves into a fine paste
- In a small pan, heat the gingelly oil and make a tadka with the mustard seeds, urad dal, asafoetida, red chillies and curry leaves. Pour this over the ground paste. Enjoy with hot dosas or pesarettus!!