Thursday, March 02, 2006

Gobi Manchurian (Funchurian)

I renamed this dish "Funchurian" because my hubby and I had a lot of fun making it:). For those struggling to get the right consistency for the batter, here are some tips
1) If you are using corn starch (not corn flour) mix some besan into it and it will get a better consistency.
2) You can add some chilli powder to the batter to make it look closer tot he kind we are used to.
3) Nothing beats corn flour or starch for this dish, but if you don't have either, try mixingup maida and besan for the batter. Let me know if this works ok.


Sweety, this is for you!


Ingredients:


1) Cauliflower
2) Corn Flour (enough to make batter for the cauliflower)
3) Green chillies
4) Ginger (2 inches long)
5) Garlic (6-7 big cloves or 10-12 small ones)
6) Chopped spring onion
7) Soy Sauce
8) Oil to fry
9) 1 cup water for the gravy


Directions:

1) Make a batter with the corn flour and water. Cut the cauliflower into 1-2 inch pices and dip it int he batter and deep fry. Keep the fried cauliflower on a tissue so that it absorbs excess oil.

2) In a pan heat 2 tsps oil and add chopped ginger, garlic and green chillies and saute for a min or two.

3) Add the water to the sauteed mixture and let it come to a boil. Add enough soy sauce so that the mixture is a deep brown. No gently pour in 2-3 spoons of the left over corn flour batter and keep stirring. Once this mixture comes to a boil and the corn flour batter is mixed it, the consistensy will start thickening.

4) Add the fried machurian to the gravy and take it off the heat. Garnish with some chopped spring onion and serve hot with fried rice!


Note: My motivation to learn this dish was to get my mom to try manchurian. She shied away from it because it resembled non-vegeterian dishes and the only way I could convince her to eat it was to make it at home. She loved it and now never hesitates to eat it even when we eat out. :) . Unfortunately this time when I made it, my hubby and I gobled it up before I could take a pic. So maybe next time!

1 comment:

Deepali Kulkarni said...

Awesome nana! This is one dish I am surely going to try out. Just one question though. What all should be there in the corn flour batter? And should the consistancy of this batter be the same as the one we make for Pakodas?
Cheers,
Sweety